EMPIRE Zoysia is available only in 400 square foot pallets . Please note there is a two pallet minimum and it takes at least 7 days for us to make it available for pickup or delivery.
EMPIRE Turf is an improved Zoysia grass with soft-to-the-touch feel, tight-bladed growth and lush green color. EMPIRE utilizes exceptional drought tolerance and lower chemical needs to meet “green building” standards. EMPIRE’s deep root structure enables it to extract water from deep soil and it's drought avoidance mechanisms ensure its survival during water shortages.
Please choose the correct sod delivery zone upon checkout. See policies for more information.
The outlined steps below are proper care and maintenance checklists for each of the seasons.
Prior to and immediately after installation: Prepare soil and water thoroughly before sod is placed (additional info at www.empireturf.com.) It is essential that turf be watered thoroughly when installed. Soak upon installation and water as needed to keep new sod from drying out. Overwatering for an extended period, however, will severely damage the turf, inducing disease and rotting roots. It usually takes 7–10 days during the active growing season for the sod to establish, but may take longer during cooler weather. Proper rooting can be checked by lifting a corner of the new sod piece and noting if “white” roots have connected to the ground. Mow the new sod 7–10 days after installation.
SEASONAL MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
- Have your soil Ph level tested every other year and add the necessary amendments.
- Always read and follow label instruction information before applying any chemical to your lawn.
- Following the final freeze of winter, drop your mower a notch and give your EMPIRE a “buzz-cut.” Make sure to bag up all the material. This will get rid of the brown top layer and any old leaves. Then for the rest of spring and summer keep your EMPIRE lawn mowed between 1-2 inches.
- Apply fertilizer. A general recommendation would be to use a 1-0-1 ratio variety, like a 15-0-15. This promotes the overall health of the grass.
- Apply pre-emergent herbicide. This will cut down on summer weeds.
- Treat with a broad-spectrum insecticide. If you use a granular variety, make sure to water the lawn immediately after application to help it get it into the soil. Make sure it offers control for billbugs.
- Don’t overwater. In the active growing season, EMPIRE needs about one inch of water a week, either from natural rainfall or irrigation. Too much water can cause fungus.
- Apply fungicide (if needed). If you have had a fungus or disease in your EMPIRE in the past or have quite a bit of shade in the yard, you want to apply a systemic fungicide to prevent future outbreaks.